Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
Welcome to the Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine. We’re a dynamic, integral part of the Department of Medicine with deep commitment to all three elements of the academic medicine mission: clinical care, education and research. As part of Northwell Health, one of the nation’s largest health systems, we have access to unparalleled resources, including a large, diverse population with many types of conditions and disorders, allowing us to build remarkably broad expertise.
Our division first opened its doors in the 1980s with one faculty member; since then it has seen exponential growth to become a faculty of over 35 dedicated academic physicians. Our faculty is nationally and internationally recognized for its expertise in pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine, and we boast innovative clinical research and graduate medical education programs.
Our pulmonary medicine outpatient services span the full range of lung diseases, whether common or rare, simple or complex. We have also developed subspecialty programs in pulmonary hypertension, asthma, critical care, cystic fibrosis, non-CF bronchiectasis, non-tuberculous mycobacterial diseases, interventional pulmonary medicine, pulmonary rehabilitation and sleep medicine. Our faculty serves as a resource for primary care providers, as well as other pulmonary physicians seeking help with more complex cases.
Honors and awards
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Care Center Award, 2018-19
- Northwell Academic Day Award, 2nd Place, Zubair Hassan, MD, Pulmonary/Critical Care Fellow, 2018
- Collaboration Award, Advancing Women in Science and Medicine (AWSM) awards, Feinstein Institute, Janice Wang, MD, 2018
- Specialty Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Medicine, Viera Lakticova, MD, 2018
- Ann Gottlieb Award for Excellence in Teaching, Women’s Health Conference, Katz Institute for Women’s Health, Mangala Narasimhan, DO, 2018
- Fellow of the Year, Department of Medicine, Karan Singh, MD, 2017
- Spielman Award for Excellence in Research: Arunabh Talwar, MD, 2017
- Teacher of the Year, Northwell Family Medicine, Mina Makaryus, MD, 2017
- Physician of the Year, Long Island Jewish Medical Center at Valley Stream, Lisa Chen, DO, 2017
- Lawrence Scherr Scholarly Activity Award, 1st Place, Original Research Project, Ronak Shah, MD, Pulmonary/Critical Care Fellow, 2017
- Lawrence Scherr Scholarly Activity Award, 3rd Place, Original Research Project, Abhinav Agrawal, MD, 2017
- Academic Awards Day, Educational Outcomes Research, 1st Prize, Luis Quintero, MD, Pulmonary/Critical Care Fellow, 2017