Residency in General Surgery at Northwell Health
Applicants interested in the general surgery training program at Northwell Health must apply through the electronic residency application service (ERAS), which starts accepting applications in early September. Applications received after December 1 may not be reviewed.
USMLE scores for all applicants must be 210 or higher for both Step 1 and Step 2 CK and a pass score for Step 2 CS. These requirements must be met on the first attempt.
Our residency program participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). The NRMP Code for our categorical training program is 1700440C0 and the code for our preliminary training program is 1700440P0. Essential application documents listed below must be received via ERAS; documents received outside of ERAS will not be taken into consideration:
- Common application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- USMLE or COMLEX transcript
- Medical school transcript
- A personal statement
- Dean’s letter
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, no older than six (6) months
- One of the three must be from your program director, chairman or professor. All letters must be on official letterhead.
- ECFMG Status Report, if applicable
- ABSITE score(s), required for each year if you currently participate or have completed any time in a U.S. accredited surgical residency program.
Completed applications with all the required documents are reviewed between September and December. We extend invitations to interview to approximately 150 applicants each year. Interview invitations are sent via the ERAS Scheduler Module. There will be five interview dates between November and January.
Once you are invited for an interview, we would like to make your time at Northwell as productive as possible. The following is a guide to how the interview day will proceed.
- Night before Pre-Interview Social
- Breakfast and applicant orientation
- Interviews with 3 faculty members and 1 resident
- Program Director Group Chat
- Resident Round Table
- Lunch with residents
- Optional Campus Tours
Due to the volume of applications we receive and the time constraints of individual interviews we ask that if you have any additional questions about application requirements or the interview process please contact our Residency Program Supervisor via email at [email protected].
The program does not pay for your lodging. However, there are a variety of hotels in the area surrounding the hospital that will offer you a discount rate. For a listing of nearby hotels, please visit our visitor information page.