Fellowship in Sports Medicine at North Shore University Hospital
Northwell Health offers a comprehensive, ACGME-certified, one-year fellowship program in sports medicine. Just minutes from New York City, the program offers many educational programs and experiences for its fellows including tow sonosite ultrasound machines, musculoskeletal ultrasound for diagnostic and therapeutic applications and excellent administrative support for continuing medical education activities such as intensive cadaveric MSK US course.
Fellows have the opportunity to provide coverage at the NBA All-Star Week games, the New York Golden Gloves Boxing and Muay Thai matches, New York City Marathon, the Long Island Marathon, and the Ironman competition in Lake Placid.
Currently, our fellows do rotations at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY, and Chelsea Sports Medicine in NYC in addition to our Sports Medicine office in Garden City, NY. There is also an opportunity to travel to the Pittsburgh area and rotate with physicians performing cutting edge regenerative therapies such as fat grafts and use of stem cells, as well as participation with the Pittsburgh Pirates and Penguins sports teams.
Fellowship in Sports Medicine Program will prepare the fellow to:
- Diagnose and manage medical illnesses and injuries related to sports, exercise and rehabilitation
- Develop and hone skills in teaching and research with opportunities in both regional and national forums
- Successfully complete the Sports Medicine certification exam
Fellowship in sports medicine provides optimal clinical experience
To optimize and diversify the clinical experience, the fellow has opportunities to collaborate with a variety of sports medicine professionals, including:
- Exercise physiologists
- Athletic trainers and physical therapists
- Primary care sports medicine physicians
- Orthopedic surgeons
- Musculoskeletal radiologists
Fellowship in sports medicine curriculum
This program will emphasize:
- Physiology and biomechanics
- Principles of nutrition
- Effects of performance and competition
- Team physician and training room principles
- Injury prevention
- Pre-participation evaluation
- Exercise prescription
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Management of acute and chronic illness and injuries
Our fellowship program offers myriad opportunities in the New York metropolitan area. The fellow will work with sports medicine experts in both the office and on the field. Many venues at all levels of competition are available for coverage by the fellow. More details about this program are available upon request.
Applicants interested in the sports medicine training program at North Shore University Hospital should apply through the electronic residency application service (ERAS), which allows applications starting Sept. 15.
No applications are reviewed after Dec. 1.
Essential application information includes:
- Common application form
- Curriculum vitae
- USMLE or COMLEX transcript
- Medical school transcript
- A personal statement
- Dean’s letter
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- ECFMG Status Report, if applicable
The Northwell Health Fellowship in Sports Medicine program currently accepts one to three fellows per year. The fellow is paid according to his/her PGY level. Clinical responsibilities in the Emergency Department do not exceed 12 hours/week.
At this time, fellowship applicants are required to have their primary board certification/eligibility in Emergency Medicine and have demonstrated a strong interest in Sports Medicine.