Benefits & compensation
As one of the largest employers in New York, Northwell Health is able to provide an exceptional benefits package for our residents and fellows. Our training staff enjoys a comprehensive health and welfare package, and retirement and wellness resources unmatched by any other health system in the region.
Resident/Fellow salaries – 2020
|Program level||Base salary|
Northwell Health provides generous health and welfare benefits for you and your dependents. Residents and fellows become eligible for all health and welfare benefits on the first day of employment. The cost of coverage is largely employer-subsidized and includes:
- Flexible spending accounts
- Short-term disability
- Employer-paid basic life insurance/accidental death and dismemberment at 1½ times pay up to $500,000
- Salary continuation during disability for up to 12 weeks and 50 percent short-term disability thereafter at no cost
- 50 percent long-term disability provided at no cost
- Supplemental life insurance/accidental death and dismemberment
Northwell Health offers 403(b) Retirement Saving for residents and fellows. Our 403(b) savings plan lets employees save pre-tax. All employees can save a percentage of their earnings before taxes are taken out, beginning on their first day of employment. Our 403(b) plan features a variety of investment options, including a full range of mutual funds and targeted retirement funds. Employees can easily sign up and manage their accounts online or by phone.
Members of the house staff are entitled to 20 days of paid time off (PTO) each contract year. These 20 days must be used during the period covered by the contract and may not be carried into subsequent years.
All requests for leave, other than disability, are reviewed by the department chairman on a case-by-case basis. All time away from formal graduate medical education, other than allotted PTO, may lead to a shortfall in the time needed to complete the requirements of both the program and the corresponding certifying board. In such situations, additional months of training may be necessary.
The following is intended only as a summary of some of the benefits provided by Northwell Health:
- Counseling—Confidential counseling, medical and psychological support services
- Malpractice insurance—Coverage, including Tail, provided by the health system
- Meal allowance—A monthly meal allowance, if applicable
- Uniform and laundry service—Uniforms (lab coats and scrubs as required) and laundry service is provided without charge
- On-call rooms—Adequate and appropriate sleeping on-call rooms are provided on campus
- Housing—Limited on-campus housing is available at a below-market rate to residency through a prescribed selection process outlined in the on campus housing policy
- Parking—On-campus parking is provided without charge in open lots, and limited garage parking is available to residents and fellows at the North Shore University Hospital and Long Island Jewish campuses. Parking rules for other campuses may differ
- Credit union—Various credit union programs are available through the health system
- Employee group discounts—Eligible for the many health system group discounts
- Additional insurance—Voluntary long-term care, group universal life, prepaid legal, identity theft, and cancer benefits at discounted rates
- Banking services—No fee checking, Visa card, safe deposit box at reduced rates