Division of General Internal Medicine
The Division of General Internal Medicine is a leading provider in clinical care, medical education and clinical and health services research. In collaboration with the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell and the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistants, we pride ourselves in educating leaders of tomorrow in general internal medicine.
The mission of the Division of General Internal Medicine is to provide high quality, patient-centered, evidence-based care to our patients, placing an emphasis on health promotion, disease prevention and population health. We also provide a robust educational and training program for future medical professionals who will shape the healthcare landscape of the future, and uncover ways to advance the practice of cost effective, safety-oriented and efficient medical care.
We are a primary teaching site for the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell, Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistants, and St. John’s University Doctor of Pharmacy program. We have integrated research programs within our practices in screening and referral to treatment for substance use, behavioral health and social determinants of health. Our research-focused division members are also part of the Center for Innovations of Outcomes Research and are faculty at the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research.
Honors & awards
National program recognition
The Division of General Internal Medicine is proud to be nationally recognized in the following programs:
- The IMPACcT Primary Care Experience
- Professionals Accelerating Clinical and Educational Redesign (PACER) - 2016
- Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT)
- Project Reducing Drinking Using Collaborative Efforts (ReDUCE)
- Take a Break (TAB) study – tobacco cessation
- Empire Clinical Research Investigator Program (ECRIP) - September 2017
We are proud to be recognized with several teaching awards within Northwell Health:
- Ambulatory Teacher of the Year: George Boutis, MD
- Ambulatory Staff Awards: Leila Sarju, Annabelle Fernandez and Adela Langley-Khan
- Inductee into the Academy of Medical Educators: Frank Cacace, MD
Our faculty are among the highest rated in patient experience within Northwell Health. They are also active in national Society for General Internal Medicine (SGIM). They have been awarded into the LEAHP, LEAD and TEACH programs, in addition to the SGIM Council and Editorship of the SGIM Forum.