Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism treats, prevents and manages disease related to diabetes, pituitary disorders and adrenal disorders. We leverage skill, experience and leading-edge equipment to provide unparalleled care to every patient, with a commitment to advancing research and educating the next generation of medical professionals.
We strive to enhance clinical, educational and research activities related to endocrinology for the Department of Medicine, using the tripartite model of equal parts education, research and clinical care. Our division includes a team of 12 physicians, four nurse practitioners, five diabetes educators, one registered nurse and two care clinical pharmacists.
Our goal is not only to provide outstanding inpatient/outpatient consultative and specialty support to our professional colleagues and patients, but also to effectively partner with other ambulatory clinical practices and inpatient services to improve patient outcomes with respect to endocrine diseases. This means developing close working relationships with internal medicine and geriatrics to improve the quality of diabetes management provided in primary care.
Obesity and diabetes epidemic
Our division is committed to taking on the obesity and diabetes epidemic, which greatly affects the health of our nation.
We recognize the need for a broad-based, versatile and creative way to focus efforts and improve patient care of
diabetes—both inpatient and outpatient. Diabetes touches every line of patient clinical practices, which is why we
have deployed systemwide and site-specific initiatives that extend seamlessly into the community.
Honors and awards
Regional/National/International abstracts, presentations and awards:
- Advances in Managing Type 2 Diabetes in the Elderly: A Focus on Inpatient Care and Transitions of Care. Ling J, Garnica P, and Myers A. Am J Ther. 2017. In press
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Patients with Blooms Syndrome: A Case Series. Presswala L and Schulman R. AACE 26th Annual Scientific & Clinical Congress. Austin, TX, May, 2017
- A Quality Improvement Project to Improve Outpatient Osteoporosis Screening Rates in Women Over 65 Using a Team-based Huddle. Lopez C, Reddy S, Sagar A, Verbsky J. NYACP, Staten Island, NY, 2017
- A Rare Case of Insulin Allergies in a Pregnant Patient. Ling J and Romao I. AACE 26th Annual Scientific & Clinical Congress. Austin, TX, May, 2017
- Suspected Type B Insulin Resistance Syndrome in a Patient with Systemic Lupus erythematosus. Ling J and Schulman R. AACE 26th Annual Scientific & Clinical Congress. Austin, TX, May, 2017
- Presswala LS, Skolnick A, Valsamis A. Hypercalcitoninemia Mediated Hypocalcemia in Medullary Thyroid Cancer: A Case Report. Poster presented at American Association of Clinical Endocronologist, National Meeting; Austin, TX. 2017
- Presswala LS, Schulman R. Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Patients with Bloom Syndrome: A Case Series. Poster presented at American